Monday, January 12, 2009

Can you play some 80's dance music?

So ontop of filming skateboarding, and working a day job, I sometimes fill in various spots to dj. It doesn't happen very often (because I don't actively seek it) but when it does I'm grateful for the chance. And it always rocks to get some free drinks and some cash. Well, Saturday I filled in for my friend who works at this bar. The regular dj either quit (which is what im guessing he did considering what happend to me) or just didn't want to (which is another guess also considering what happend to me). He calls me on Monday and asks if I can bring all my equipment to the bar, and play from 9pm to 3am for 150 dollars. Who the fuck wouldn't? So he tells me to bring my usual bag of tricks (hip hop, funk, and soul with a lot of old rare groove for those of you who know what that is); but what he doesn't tell me is that he doesn't even work on those nights so he really doesn't even know what the regular dj plays.
Now folks, let me tell you, if there's a recipe for disaster, it's that. Showing up to a gig with the wrong music, all because the guy who booked you guessed. Yikes.

So I get there at 9 in the middle of a snow storm, and I walk in and guess what, there's no funk or soul playing on the juke box, it sounds like 80's rock music. Right then I knew, something was gonna be fucked. It's one of those bars in Lake View which is home to a lot of yuppie 30 something types. You seen 'em, those smug assholes who work in some cube farm downtown and drink shitty beer, So after setting up, I started the set, and in the middle of a James Brown set, a bald headed guy with tattoos comes up to me and blatantly says to my face "This shit sucks, play some 80's dance music". Turns out, he was one of the owners who wasn't supposed to show up. So anyways, after a few more people came up to me asking me for such things as "Beyonce" and more "80's dance music" I just keep playing what I got. Explaining over and over that i'm just filling in. So at 12:00 the girl comes up to me who was running the bar and pays me and tells me that they want to put on dance music. Wow, was I pissed. But at least she liked the set, and told me that she's gonna have me come back to do a funk and soul night. I hope.

All in all, I hate dance music, but it was a nice 150 dollars :)